BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Crockpoty Time

As you know, I like to cook. I always wanted to own a crockpot, but honestly, I was a little intimidated by it. So last year, on black Friday, there were some on sale for I think $10(or maybe it was $20?) at Wal-Mart. I snagged one up. I put it in my "future home" pile, honestly not expecting to use it. But then I found a really great autumn spice punch recipe.(I will post that another time.) It came out so good that I knew that if I could rock something so simple as a punch in a crockpot that maybe, just maybe, I could rock a meal in there too.
I started googling recipes. I started off with chicken. Frankly beacause chicken and I have a very strong relationship with each other. That, and I wanted to start off with something a little bit easy. I found this recipe. I'm giving you the link because I want to give credit where it's due. And, I don't want the internet police chasing after me saying I stole somebody's recipe. I try to be an honest girl!
Anywho. Let's get this party started!
The recipes goes like so:

Ingredients:


-4-6 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (I had 3 large ones, so I cut them all in half.)
-2 14.5 oz. cans diced or crushed tomatoes.(I didn't have any of those, I so sauteed some fresh tomatoes in olive oil with some adobo, cumin, and pepper sprinkled on top. Plus, you're not eating all that salt that comes with the canned ones!)

-1 onion thinly sliced (I used red.)
-4 cloves of garlic(Ok people, if you know me at all, you know that I am a garlic fiend. I always use double what the recipes calls for. Sometimes even more. So, if you don't like that much garlic, just go with the 4.)
-1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 teaspoon dried oregano
-1 teaspoon dried basil (I also added some fresh basil.)
-1 teaspoon rosemary
-1/2 teaspoon thyme
-Salt and pepper to taste



Directions:

1)Pour olive oil in the bottom of the pot.
2)Salt and pepper the chicken. Place it in.
3) Put the sliced onion on top.
4)Then place the dried herbs and garlic.
It's starting to look scrumptious, isn't it!!

5) Pour the vinegar and add the tomatoes.
(I then added some fresh basil in there. I also discovered that the original poster used olives and mushrooms. I love those 2 things as well! I didn't have any mushrooms, but I certainly had olives! MMMMMMM!)
Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.
I CAN'T WAIT TO EAT YOU!!!

So here's the masterpiece cooking:

I cooked it for about 4, 4 1/2 hours. Here's the finished results. I served it over pasta as recommended.

The result? Good. The flavors were excellent. The chicken was a tad dry. So. Next time, I will have to play around with it. I'm still new to the crockpot thing. But. As far as I'm concerned, I did a pretty decent job. I welcome all suggestions. AND I hope that maybe you found a new recipe to try. I think I'd like to try to use this a marinade too. Here's to cooking and trying new things!





0 comments: