BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Money. That's what I want.

I'm not gonna lie to you. I like having money. Who doesn't? Come on. Don't pretend like you don't like having it. But it's true what they say- the more you have, the more you want. I'm about to get a little vulnerable here.
First off, let me say, I'm an emotional spender. When something bad happens, a new dress(or shirt, or hoodie, or shoes) makes me feel better. I'm not really sure if that's healthy, but that's another topic that we will explore at a later date. That's when I'll let my psychological training come out.
And I'll begin to tell you my tale here- in other posts I have written about how I grew up poor and have felt the need to fill the gap by buying clothes. I go in and out of these phases where I do really good and then I have a breakdown and buy a lot of things. (I need to find a healthy balance.) This has caused me to get into a little bit of debt. I was doing reaaalllyyy good for a while. Then. It. Happened. I have been wanting to move to DC for a while. I haven't b/c I'm lazy and I can't seem to find anything good when I do look. This past September, I FINALLY got contacted to go on not one, but TWO interviews!!! I was so excited and nervous. I thought that my chance had finally come. I felt like both went really well. I had wanted one job over the other and funny thing was that the job I wanted turned me down. So. After I sent out my thank you letters, I get a response back from the job I didn't really want. (Actually, I had felt like that interview went better, but I really had wanted the other one!) They tell me that they were very impressed with my interview(I mean, what's not to be impressed about, right? ;) ) and they felt that I would be an asset to their organization. I immediately thought that I had been offered the job. I was so excited that I started texting everyone and their mother. Finally I was moving!! My time had come. ERRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT! WRONG! Come to find out, I had to actually be offered the job by their HR department- the people who interview you just recommend that you get hired. UM. What? My first thought was "Oh. Crap. I told all these people that I was leaving and now I might not be? Crap." And my second thought was "Why didn't she tell me this when she was saying that she felt I would be an asset?" And my third thought was "What kind of screwed up system do they have?" I didn't get the job. I was crushed. I don't think I've taken such a hard blow in a long time. So what did I do? I think I bought all of Old Navy. I was sad for a while. I didn't really let on, b/c I was trying to look on the bright side, telling myself that God had something bigger and better. That only lasted for so long. I let myself continue to buy. For a while. Even after I felt better. Recently, I noticed that my spending kinda got out of control. IE: Using a credit card for a starbucks purchase. Either you have the actual money in your bank account, or you don't. Or you use your card and pay it back right away.
I felt it was time to do something that I have thought about doing for a long time.

Why have a card that I can just keep racking up a balance on? I've been trying to get myself out of debt for a while and haven't done well. So here's the first step. I can do whatever I set my mind to doing. It's gonna take time, but I want to be able to buy a house someday, go on a trip around Europe. I don't want to have to worry about what money I owe to credit cards. All in time.

2 comments:

Kate at Green Fashionista said...

Go Potato! I'm so proud of you! You'll notice that you actaully have more money once you stop relying on credit so much because you won't have all those credit card payments each month.

I remember when you thought you had that job in DC, I was so happy for you and felt so bad when it didn't work out. You're right though, God has a bigger and better plan for you and you'll know when it comes along why this last job wasn't the one for you. You even said yourself it wasn't the one you really wanted.

{NiceGirlNotes} said...

Good job, girl!!! \m/