BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Attending weddings. Without a date.

This past weekend, I went to a friend's wedding. Alone. OK I wouldn't completely say "alone" b/c I knew some people that also attended. But I could also say alone b/c I didn't have a date to being to the wedding as I do not have a significant other. Now, I don't mind that I don't have a significant other at the current time, BUT when it comes to weddings, these things like to rub themselves in your face. I knew 4 people at the wedding. 1 of them was part of the bridal party. 1 of them is her husband. The other 2 are engaged. To each other. You see my dilemma. (There was actually one guy at our table that I ended up seeing at church the next morning. Small world, huh? So I guess you could say that I knew 5 people. Sort of.) Now, I'm not completely bothered by this until it comes to the dance floor. I like to dance, especially at weddings. It would be great if a group of people would just get up and dance together. No partners or anything. We all know that that doesn't normally happen unless there is a bunch of single people. Unfortunately for me, there wasn't a lot of single people. So, the music starts and I of course hesitate b/c I will be up there by myself and that makes me feel awkward. My friend Kristine(the one in the bridal party) pulled me up and made me get up there. Yeah, that's great and all, but HELLO! How was I supposed to dance with her when she has her husband??? So I stood there swaying for a little bit until Kristine started dancing with me. Then she got the 3 of us dancing together. Then I danced with her husband while she went to the bathroom. (See you need friends like that at EVERY wedding.) Eventually I just kept going back up there and taking some breaks in between b/c Lord knows that your feet hurt after dancing in heels! And I of course ran up there when the cha cha slide came on. I sat back down when the electric slide came on, but that is a dance that I will soon learn. My goal is to have it completely mastered by next October, which is when I will be part of the bridal party for my cousin's wedding. Anyway, let me get back to my original point. If you know me, you know that I am introverted. It's not something I entirely like about myself, but hey.... When it comes to crowds, I don't exactly do good. It takes me a while to warm up to dancing. I think sometimes you just need to go up there and just let it rip. B/c I know that I will regret it later if I just sit at the table the whole night watching everyone else dance. Life is too short to not have some good clean fun. So get up there and just start dancing with yourself. If you have to just start dancing with your friend and her husband. LOL. In the words of Lady Gaga "Just Dance."

1 comments:

Sweet P said...

I love to dance too and I never let anything get in the way of my groove. There have been way too many songs that I have missed out on sitting at the table. Today, I get out there and dance WITH myself and have a good ole time...next time, no worries....just dance! Cut a rug and have a good time doing it. Like you said, life is too short.